Back from a much-needed, one-week blogging furlough, I’d like to start back with four points with which to grill Barack Obama.
First up, most recent news first, is Obama’s statement aired on today’s “The View” that he would in fact have left Trinity United Church of Christ if Jeremiah Wright had not retired:
In a clip posted by ABC, Obama says: ‘Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country — for all its flaws — then I wouldn’t have felt comfortable staying there at the church.”
And just last week he stated that he could no more disown him than than the black community in a speech in Philadelphia. This is equally as absurd as John McCain stating he could not disown the KKK any more than he could the white community.
Maybe Wright made the right choice to leave – he’s moving into a new, $1.6 million home. This after he preached against too much material wealth from the pulpit. Guess, for Wright, that doesn’t apply if you’re black.
Second, and most alarming for me, is Obama’s belief that Jesus Christ is not necessary for salvation!!
During a campaign stop yesterday in Greensboro, North Carolina, Senator Obama told the audience that he believes he “can have everlasting life” because Jesus Christ died for his sins. But he then told a questioner that he believes Jews and Muslims who live moral lives are just as much “children of God” as he is. (listen to audio clip here)
Who gave Obama permission to draw the moral line with Jews and Muslims who live moral lives? In this logic, all that would be required for salvation is to live a moral life. That begs the question of where morals are based. Obama, as a self-proclaimed Christian, can’t use the bible as his answer because that worldview is not biblical. Perhaps Obama has never heard of this “obscure” passage: Jn 14:6: “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Of course, all morality comes from God, but that is for another discussion. Without God, the standard disappears and morality becomes whatever an individual decides.
Of course, this comes as no surprise. Obama believes the Sermon on the Mount justifies homosexual marriage.
Third, is a new Gallup poll from Wednesday showing the number of Democrats who would vote for McCain over either Clinton or Obama:
Clinton supporters who would vote for McCain over Obama = 28%
Obama supporters who would vote for McCain over Clinton = 19%
“The data suggest that the continuing and sometimes fractious Democratic nomination fight could have a negative impact for the Democratic Party in next November’s election. A not insignificant percentage of both Obama and Clinton supporters currently say they would vote for McCain if he ends up running against the candidate they do not support.”
If they would only run on the same ticket…Listen, Democrats, it’s not about what’s best for the country. It’s what’s best for satisfying their own power hunger. Why do I even bother trying to explain your own party. Most of you will never see it.
And finally, came an email from Focus on the Family Action highlighting Obama’s stances on the social issues. Obama is as extreme as they come on family issues:
On abortion, Obama’s 100 percent lifetime voting record from Planned Parenthood and NARAL only begins to tell the story.
* While in the Illinois State Senate six years ago, Obama was the only senator to speak against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, which protects babies who are born alive after a failed abortion. In other words, it prevents flat-out infanticide. A year later— while the U.S. Senate was passing Born Alive 98-0 – state Sen. Obama quietly killed an identical bill in the state committee he chaired!
* Not surprisingly, then, he also opposes the ban on partial-birth abortion and supports allowing minor girls to be transported across state lines for abortions without parental notice or consent.
* Perhaps most chilling is his avowed support for the Freedom of Choice Act, which, if signed into law, would threaten every pro-life law passed at the state and federal levels over the past 30 years.
* In addition, while the next president could effectively overturn Roe v. Wade with the right Supreme Court appointments, Obama is proudly committed to appointing judges who will uphold legal abortion. In fact, his judicial philosophy is typical of the radical left. He believes that judges can change the meaning of the Constitution at their discretion. Not surprisingly, he voted against the nominations of Justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito.
How about marriage and the homosexual agenda?
* First, he opposes the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). If given the chance by the liberal Congress, Obama will overturn DOMA, potentially forcing every state to recognize homosexual “marriages” and guaranteeing that you and I pay federal benefits to support homosexual couples. Please note: Technically, he says he is “opposed” to same-sex “marriage,” but by standing against DOMA, he is standing against the only thing that prevents same-sex marriages from spreading state to state.
* Second, he has pledged to homosexual leaders that he will sign the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (forcing businesses to defend themselves against discrimination lawsuits should they not hire a particular candidate who then announces he or she is homosexual or transsexual). He also supports hate-crimes expansion (potentially putting churches at risk if they preach the truth about homosexuality).
* Then there’s his support for teaching schoolchildren (in 2nd grade, no less) about homosexual relationships. He also wants to require women to register for the draft. And, as a state senator, he even refused to support a measure to stop sex businesses from opening near schools or places of worship!
The price of “change”: Hold on to your wallet!
Sen. Obama talks constantly about the need for “change.” But what he doesn’t tell you is the price tag, so allow me: It will be very expensive change.
He supports raising taxes to pay for universal health care, his free college program and a host of other government expansions. Among his pet projects is a bill he sponsored called the Global Poverty Act, which would commit the U.S. to spending 0.7 percent of gross national product on foreign aid. Over 13 years, that will amount to a whopping $845 billion increase over current foreign-aid spending! Get your checkbooks ready!
One area where Sen. Obama seems to have an aversion to spending is the War on Terror. But it’s not just the admittedly controversial war in Iraq where Obama has shown himself to be soft on terror:
* He has repeatedly voted against funding our troops in Iraq—unless the funding included a date certain by which our soldiers must withdraw from their fight against al Qaeda. Even with the troop surge producing superb results, Obama has called both the surge and the war a failure. In fact, he and Hillary seem to be in a rhetorical contest to see who can abandon the battlefield first.
* He, along with Hillary, voted to give captured terrorists and illegal immigrants constitutional rights that are reserved for American citizens. Can you believe that Sen. Obama actually favors granting citizenship to illegal immigrants convicted of crimes against children, aggravated felonies and other serious crimes? It’s true.
* Perhaps, then, it should come as no surprise that Obama also voted against a resolution proposing a constitutional amendment to protect the American flag from desecration.
One has to ask: Did he learn anything from 9/11?
It’s all in the name of government control. More power for him and less freedom for us. And apparently even a significant percentage of Democrats don’t want him in power.